Endocrinology deals with the hormone-producing organs (thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, pituitary gland, adrenal glands, and pancreas). Hormones ensure the metabolism is balanced. Any disorder in them affects the whole body. Both underproduction and overproduction of hormones can cause symptoms already in childhood.
Symptoms that require a pediatric endocrinologist:
- Growth disorders: short stature, tall stature
- Weakness of the muscles
- Decreasing ability to concentrate
- Excessive weight gain or loss
- Constant sweating or feeling cold
- Frequent diarrhea or constipation
- Racing heartbeat
- Delayed or precocious puberty: early or inappropriate body hair, early breast development in girls, breast development in boys, delayed puberty or pubertal failure.